Friday, October 31, 2008

It has a nice ring when you laugh at the low life opinions

Dear Most Valuable Losers:

Yesterday, continuing a long-standing trend, another Toronto reporter took a cheap shot at Leaf fans. This time it was Howard Berger who called us "losers" but we've seem the same cookie-cutter article from virtually everyone who covers the team.

Quite frankly, we've had enough.

As fans, we believe that those most deserving of our praise and our scorn are directly involved in the game, whether it's on the ice, in the press box or in the executive corridors. Fans don't pencil in the starting five, make bad trades, or write the headlines of the day and shouldn't be blamed (or praised) for the totals in the wins and loss column.

Hockey may be just a game but it's also a passion. If you're looking for passionate hockey coverage that offers insight and humour and you're sick of being blamed for supporting a team you're passionate about, you have a better option.

It's time to leave the media superstars behind. There's compelling, timely, wide-ranging content waiting just for you online in the Barilkosphere.

Many have found this better way of following the Leafs, but not every Leafs fan has been so lucky. Please send this message to your fellow Leaf fans via e-mail or postings on message boards and let them know that they do have a choice.

We hope you'll join us here in the Barilkosphere and become regular readers and contributors.

3 comments:

  1. One thing I don't seem to understand is why people who hate the MSM continue to read it on a regular basis. I'm actually talking about bloggers. I rarely read Cox or Berger. Uusually only after a blogger has made a fuss about something they have said. I much rather read you or Mirtle, etc. By critiquing their columns, I think you promote their work. It's just like the people who hate Don Cherry but can't stop talking about what he has to say.

    The main problem for me with the MSM is that they rarely have anything new to say. They keep churning the same stories out week after week. Where will Mats Sundin sign? Will Bryan McCabe waive his no movement contract? Who will be in the pressbox next game? When will someone in the front office admit they won't make the playoffs? Coach it it ture you're hard to get along with?

    And the Leaf officials and players must go insane being asked the same questions over and over again. I just avoid reading that rubbish. And I would never bother blogging about what they might have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pseudonym - Well said.

    I gave up on the Star sports section a few months back and find myself only reading it when there's a dust up on one of the other leaf sites. I don't miss it (I do miss Chris Young's old JABs site, there's a media guy who get its. A shame that he moved over to the editorial side.)

    I read the Sun when I'm waiting at my barbers' and that's about it. Don't miss it either.

    I never read Berger to begin with and had to be tipped off by an email about the "Dear Losers" post. It's nothing against Berger, he's just a terrible writer.

    I read the Hat, but skim Shoalts and Wharnsby.

    As someone who's often risen to the bait and taken more than a few shots at these guys, I don't know that I can lay off completely. But, there is something to be said for going on a media diet and trying to only ingest non-toxic content.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find most of the Globe writer to be pretty good.

    ReplyDelete