Monday, February 23, 2009

He Who Laughs Last Didn't Get the Joke

When the Sundin-returns circus ended we all knew the media would move on to yet another all important topic - it's not just nature that abhors a vacuum.

I wasn't sure what would become the defacto big story for the sports writers out there. Perhaps it would be a chimpanzee who can almost calculate pi, a series of columns on trade rumours that will never happen, the endearing story of a career AHLer from some small town who's waited forever for his shot at NHL glory or maybe another profile of an NHL tough-guy that's a gentle giant off the ice.

But to think that sucking sound you hear is the collective brain power of several writers trying to figure out whether or not the Brian Burke on Twitter is the real Brian Burke, that's something I wasn't expecting. I mean, it's not like there's a big hint right in the bio line.



As for the charge that this very clever, acerbic, twitter account is setting back the cause of bloggers - I have no idea what cause that may be; moreover, I'd hate to think what the day to day contribution of sports writers is when they look at the bio line of a twitter account and presume it's a reference to a level playing field for all participants.

4 comments:

  1. I see this blowing over entirely once something (anything) else happens in the hockey world.

    That, and the "investigative journalists" realize how incredibly stupid they look, having set back "the cause" of journalistic integrity with their moronic piece on this non-issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed the bio line but figured it was a joke anyway. If it was real Burke would be in a whole heap of trouble including tampering charges. But I have to admit I had a good laugh over it.

    In fact I figured it was someone from Down Goes Brown because there was a plug for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:36 pm

    I missed this completely. Someone actually thought that was Burke's twitter account? Does the term humour not exist in their vocabulary? I thought it was obvious it was fake. Brilliant, but fake.

    PS I love the entry about Stempniak. So true, although he's been playing with a bit more fire lately. Still not worth Steen and Covo, but at least he's noticeable now. Not one of Fletcher's shrewdest moves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:35 pm

    Is Sid the Kid a wimp? I wish he didn’t back down from OV in the game. http://fanzak.com/fzrants/Is_Sidney_Crosby_a_Wimp

    ReplyDelete