Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Toronto Maple Leafs Annual

For the second year in a row Alec Brownscombe of Maple Leafs Hot Stove was kind enough to ask me to contribute to the 2010-11 Toronto Maple Leafs Annual.

My piece is on the Leafs and social media, other contributors include Chemmy and PPP from Pension Plan Puppets; Sean from Down Goes Brown; Ed from Heroes in Rehab and many other great writers.

Toronto Maple Leafs Annual is now shipping. You can order your copy here.

The will also be available at news stands across the GTA later this month.





As for the Leafs and social media...

Several years ago I was out with a bunch of friends and we somehow ended up seeing a late show of The Fantastic Four. It was a mess of a movie only somewhat redeemed by the site of Jessica Alba in her super-suit.

As the final credits began to roll, one of my pals incredulously declared, "There was a director?!?"

I was reminded of that clever remark when Alec asked me to write a piece for the Annual on the Leafs' social media strategy.

One look at the club's shaky facebook videos, their incessant re-tweets - go leafs go, indeed - and the buggy dead space that is Leafszone and all I could think was, "They have a strategy?!?"

Much to my surprise, it turns out that they do and that there just might be a method to their madness...

I hope you'll buy the magazine and I look forward to hearing from readers not just about my article but on any thoughts they might have about the Leafs' social media presence.

I'd also like to thank Dave Fleet of Thornley-Fallis, Ben Wright of the Atlanta Thrashers and Jonathan Sinden of the Leafs for taking the time to chat with me about sports, the NHL and social media.


Find all the best pubs for watching Leaf games at YellowPages.ca

3 comments:

  1. I tried to find a pub in Nunavit and discovered it's any listing with "pub" in it, including the world "Public".

    YellowPages.ca has fooled me for the last time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your piece last night - one of the only bits I've made it to so far, it's been a busy few days - and quite enjoyed it.

    Look at you, doing interviews and getting quotes, all professional like. Now if only the Toronto Star and the Bergermeister would follow suit. Dare to dream.

    Anyway, I came to praise you, not to bury the MSM; your article is refreshing because in addition to being well-written, I don't think I've seen that subject covered before. It'll be interesting to see how the Leafs handle their two Tweeters Colby Armstrong (@armdog) and Mike Komisarek (@mkomisarek) in particular. Last year, Komi's account basically went dormant during the season, but then again so did he. Thanks - for the second year in a row - for a great read and I'll be watching with interest to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete